I am God's idea; you are God's idea ....for such a time as this. All who you are and all who you will be has a purpose.

Saturday, February 9, 2013

Rethink Discipleship

These are just my humble observations from growing up in church and experiences into my adult life.

I’ve unfortunately seen much too often the phrase “Go & make Disciples” be over spiritualized by programs, meetings & well those lovely workbooks for a Bible study that you need to “invest” in with your checkbook. I don’t mean to imply any of those means aren’t good.  I just think they are all too often pushed as the spiritual answer on how to make a disciple.  Ya know, to make you feel like you are “doing” something. 

Who’s with me?

Here’s a page from my own story. As a young family we were in “leadership” at the church we attended.  It began when we had been married a little over three years and had a one year old.  During this season I worked second shift & my husband worked first so we didn’t need to put our son in daycare.  My evenings off were Sunday, Wednesday & Saturday.  We were “expected” to be at church two of those evenings.  One night a week for family time wasn’t enough.  We did this for two years.  Our family suffered.  Our marriage suffered.  Of course this was all in the name of “doing” church.  That experience has given me wisdom. 

Now as a single Mom, my son is my priority more than ever.  God has trusted him to me only for a short season.  It has gone by way too fast.  I have so much more to do.  One thing I strive to do is be an example by serving along side my son and he watches me by including him.  I intentionally pick much of my “ministry” time only when he can join me.  This means we spend time together and help others all at the same time. 

I just finished reading lots of the New Testament and observing Jesus.  He simply lived His life and influenced those around Him.  He was intentional about those who He invested in.  His lifestyle and who He was DREW others to Him. 

I have some beautiful friends who are out-of-the-box and don’t take this lightly.  Their kitchen table has experienced more serving and ministry then I have seen in such a long time.  More effective than a group discussion or book study is someone simply living his or her life by example.  Others are drawn to them because their lifestyle is different. It’s refreshing.

So, whom are you being intentional about serving, teaching and investing in?

I think there is a generation of kids out there who sat through meeting after meeting after meeting or rehearsal or praise team practice from their parents “doing” church.  The pressure of being busy for the church has taken its toll on families.  Especially those families in “leadership.”  I say leadership with mixed emotions.  What if I said those who are on the payroll?  I also say leadership lightly because families, I think, would look differently if those in leadership portrayed family as a PRIORITY.

Thankfully, my dad, who has been an Elder in the church, since I can remember, was always there for us.  He served his family first, then others second.  I watched my parents love others, serve others, minister to others all with proper balance.  So, I know it can be done.  From experience.

I also think that same generation hungers for change and I see it happening.  There is HOPE.  If you are blessed to be a parent then you have a big job to do.  Your children are the most important disciples you will ever have.  Be intentional about investing in them. Daily.

I want to honor an amazing friend who has waited a long time to be a momma.  God answered her prayer and she quit her long time career to fulfill this dream.  Her & her husband have sacrificed intentionally to make this decision.  You see she is teaching her daughter by her actions.  She is investing in her through daily, simple, routine actions. That, in my book, is one of the most spiritual things anyone could ever do. 

Here a some pictures of her sweet 16 month old copying her actions when she was babysitting a friend’s 6 month old.
Reading a book to the "little one"
"Feeding her "baby"
“What you do speaks so loud that I cannot hear what you say” –Ralph Waldo Emerson

 Let me encourage you to “GO and MAKE disciples” - Matthew 28:19 and start at home first.

2 comments:

  1. So encouraging and what the Lord has been reminding me of. I too try to find ministry where my girls can be involved. We are in a family life/small group and volunteer in the nursery together. I love this time with them!

    ReplyDelete