I was listening to a podcast on resting while running on my
treadmill. I kind of laughed a
little at the irony. But, I really
was resting. I have recently found
after a long day of work and being a single mom of a teenager that I have loved
unwinding by running at night.
True story.
Sometimes resting means taking a break from certain things
so you can focus on other things. Resting
actually really looks like productivity. Society tells us differently. Let’s be honest, “church” can tell us differently. Learn the word NO if you need to.
Let’s look at Leviticus 26:34-35. “Then at last the land
will enjoy its neglected Sabbath years as it lies desolate while you are in exile in
the land of your enemies. Then the
land will finally rest and enjoy the Sabbaths it missed. As long as the land
lies it ruins, it will enjoy the rest you never allowed it to take every
seventh year while you lived in it.”
After reading this verse I had the thought that I wonder if
sometimes God designs not-so-fun-circumstances that force us to rest because He
knows what is best for us. I had
never thought of unfortunate circumstances and rest going together.
Busy bodies are counter-productive if they never take a season
of rest. (Or juggling so many
things all might be checked off the list but none done “well”) A day every week
for rest is what God demonstrated in Genesis 2. He didn’t need it.
It was an example for us to follow. It is productive.
A garden needs to rest after season to season to maintain
healthy soil. A tired soil doesn’t
produce as good of a crop as a healthy one.
Let me encourage you to ask God in what areas do you need to
take a rest? A few years ago I
rested from all things in life except work and my son. I just sought out as much possible time
as I could with Jesus. Oh, what a
year. I had to force myself to
train my brain to sit out on lots of “stuff.”
IT WAS WORTH IT.
I sought Him out constantly and I was quiet long enough for
Him to plant a seed deep within me.
He watered it. And it grew. It would take a whole blog post just to tell you all the fruit that has been produced from that year. It still continues.
REST. Try it!

No comments:
Post a Comment