I don’t have all the answers, not even half of them. However, two people who taught me what the very word LOVE means, what it looks like and how they showed me love have a pretty good idea. So I’ll share some of their wisdom that they lived out and I was blessed to witness.
What my momma taught me……..by eliminating words?
Respect (honor) your husband.
This one alone is so priceless, I can’t even begin to thank my Mom for showing me what respecting your husband looks like, sounds like and should be lived like.
I’m just going to be bluntly honest ladies - we need to just learn to keep our mouths SHUT! So I haven’t had the practice in respecting a husband for quite some time now. I realize this. I also think since I have been single I have been more aware of how women talk about their husbands. It’s a pretty sad score I have to admit. I realize I don’t know all your husbands faults (he’s human, we all have them). But, it is heartbreaking to see a good husband be so disrespected. The Bible doesn’t say we are to love our husbands. That tends to come easy for us women. What they need from us is RESPECT. I think God also knew this would be a challenge for us. He’s so good at growing us. Complaining about your husband is just disrespectful. Padding it with a prayer request, well, check your heart first. God knows.
What my daddy taught me………by not defending himself?
Love does NOT have to prove itself right.
My Dad has verbally repeated this phrase over and over and over to me throughout my life. He also has showed me by example that proving you are right is not love. Having to be right isn’t love. Having the last word in isn’t love. Having to defend yourself isn’t love. In other words, love doesn’t insist on it’s own way.
I have wanted to scream at others on behalf of my Dad when he has so quietly kept his mouth shut. The strength in his stance on not having to prove himself right is remarkable.
I know I haven’t past these tests yet, so I guess I’ll get to retake them. That’s the beautiful thing. God doesn’t give up on us. He doesn’t grade on a curve though, we each have to stand before Him and answer for our test grade. Not anyone else’s.
So whether your husband needs respect or you have been wronged and don’t deserve it, remember what love LOOKS like and SOUNDS like.

No comments:
Post a Comment