True confession, no lie, I like to drive fast. Not only could this mean the maximum number on the speedometer but also might mean how quick can I get to that number. Really, I’m telling all my business with this one.
Anyone who has known me for any length of time knows I love cars. I have for a long time. Even back in my upper elementary years I owned a Lamborghini sweatshirt. Back in the day my brother and I had many discussions about Lamborghini vs. Ferrari and which one was better. He was the Ferrari fan. Boo.
Horsepower!!!! My true love is a Shelby Mustang. A five speed, black Shelby with either flat black racing stripes or faint hot pink flames is my goal to own someday. Choosing which year to get is the toughest decision. Of course with a pony interior and a good amount of chrome. My license plate will read ESTRGIN. J As you can tell I’ve thought a lot about this.
When I owned my first car that had a V6 engine one of my first comments to someone about it was, “Finally I have a car that can keep up with me.” My Dad pointed out while I was shopping for a car and was looking at this V6 that it wouldn’t get as great of gas mileage that I was use to. I replied, “Good gas mileage isn’t any fun.”
Let me clarify though, I don’t try to intentionally speed. I never on purpose set my mind to go a crazy number of miles per hour over the speed limit. HONEST. Now, I’m not saying my foot doesn’t get heavy, especially if I’m jamming to some really great music. This doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy going fast, I just know it isn’t wise and it is illegal. I like my insurance rates and I really don’t like the consequences of getting pulled over.
One day I was accelerating ever so quickly on the entrance ramp onto the highway and my son says to me, “Mom, this isn’t a NASCAR race.” Isn’t he funny? I said back to him that I wasn’t even up to the speed limit yet. I also commented to him that I don’t try to intentionally speed. I inadvertently said, “This is why I use the self-control button.” What I meant was the cruise control. Quite honestly though, for me the cruise control is using self-control.
Don’t you wish it were just that easy? I mean if I could set the “self-control” button in every area of my life that needed it, my flesh wouldn’t be a problem. In a sense we have access to a self-control button with our lives. Galatians 5:22-23 says when the Holy Spirit controls our lives (this is a choice) he produces this kind of fruit, self-control. We all can ignore the Holy Spirit’s prompting. He will never over-ride our choice but rather we need to make a choice to use His guidance.
So remember, this isn’t a NASCAR race and set your self-control. If you can help it you can avoid the consequences of getting pulled over. (Maybe I should learn to drive like it's "Saturday" - read previous blog)

No comments:
Post a Comment