I’m struggling.
I mean deep down inside struggling.
Things, items, stuff......they just seem silly lately.
I have a beautiful china cabinet in my dining room. I bought the cabinet to contain &
display all of the items. It’s
full of lovely china, crystal & silver items. FULL. Not one
of the items contained in the cabinet did I purchase. It’s not necessary and it sometimes it even seems
silly. I appreciate and even love
the gifts. But, they are just
things.
I have a great craft/scrapbooking room that is amazing. Truly. Amazing. I’ve bought LOTS of those items. It’s not necessary and it seems silly.
I have four bedrooms, a hallway & stairs, living room
and a family room that got new carpet three years ago. I lived just fine without carpet while
we remodeled too. It’s not
necessary and it seems silly.
I have 15 storage bins that contain Christmas decorations.
They take up lots of space for 11 months out of the year. They aren’t necessary and they seem
silly.
These all seem silly when I think about those who don’t even
own a cupboard to put everyday plates in, let alone know where their next meal
might come from. It seems silly
when I think about people who wouldn’t have the time for a hobby to make crafts
let alone spend the money on a hobby.
I’ve met ladies in another country who are content to “sweep” their dirt
floor. So, I felt guilty
complaining about the plywood boards through my whole house I “endured” for an
entire year before I purchased carpet.
At least I had a floor. I
have Christmas decorations for what?
What if we all lived simple on purpose? Downsized instead of upgraded. What if we gave others as much as
ourselves? You know that verse
where Jesus says “love others as yourself?” (Luke 10:27)
That would mean 50% others and 50% us.
If you have ever attended a church service in your life I
know you heard them talk about money.
You’ve heard them ask for that portion God commands us to give if you
are His child. However, I heard a
great sermon once about what does God think about how you spend that other 90%
of your checkbook that is His.
HIS
You mean it all is His? Yup. I have to
answer for 100% of what He blessed me with. The point is have I been faithful with what He has given me
and asked me to do with it? However, I want to clarify gifts from our heavenly
Daddy there are nothing wrong with.
He delights in running us down with blessings. (Matt 7:11) It’s a matter of the heart. Contentment. Greed. Thankfulness.
Gratitude. I’m just more concerned
with being obedient to the Giver of all good things and not keeping up with the
Jones’ to impress them.
We work more so we can “afford” more. We charge more so we can “have”
more. We go on extravagant
vacations so we can “relax” right?
What is enough? Fancy cell
phones just seem silly. I’ve never
paid more than $50 for one. Mine
calls people. It even texts. That’s enough. Salon nails seem silly. I like them. They are prettier than mine. Mine are enough.
I made a choice to not have a car payment. My car drives, it’s safe. It’s paid for.
It’s enough.
Being rich is truly just having more than enough.

No comments:
Post a Comment