I am God's idea; you are God's idea ....for such a time as this. All who you are and all who you will be has a purpose.

Sunday, November 13, 2011

treating the symptoms or eliminating the problem. which do you prefer?


Okay, so normally I’m not a big fan of going to the doctor.  I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve had to go.  I say ‘had to go’ lightly too.  Some of the times were to do the required check-up so I could receive a certain prescription (by choice). Another time was to receive pills I needed to go out of the country on a mission trip.  Going to the doctor and doing what they required of me to get what I wanted was the only way.

I’ve been a very healthy individual my whole life.  As a child, I never went to the doctor.  The first time I had my blood drawn was when I was pregnant.  My only stay in a hospital was when I gave birth to my son.  As an adult the first time I went to the doctor I needed an antibiotic and it was the first kind I ever took.  I was allergic to it and threw up 6 times in less than 2 hours.  That was miserable.  The wrong medicine can be painful.

Many stories I’ve heard and personal experience I’ve had just seem to repeat a common and major problem to me.  Now this isn’t always the case, just hear me out.  Doctors sometimes tend to treat the symptoms, not the problem.  If I have a cold, yes, medicine helps with the symptoms.  It doesn’t ever make the problem go away.  That has to ride itself out.  My pediatrician for Bryce told me when he was younger that the cold medicine actual prolongs the cold from dying out and him getting better faster.  I like him!  That’s the truth, isn’t it?  Dealing with the symptoms and focusing on those prolongs the problem being resolved.

We can have many problems in life.  Horrible circumstances.  Always struggling.  Nothing goes our way.  We all could think of something to complain about.  What good does that do?  I’m learning to deal with the “heart” of the issue and quit focusing on the symptoms. 

Have you ever lived with a teenager?  Been a teenager?  They have a reputation to go through a selfish phase.  I did, just ask my parents & brother.  I’m training my amazing son that the heart of that issue is pride.  Loving your neighbor above yourself is selfless, period. It’s easier to fix the results of repeated selfishness by settling in our hearts a spirit of pride.  Simple really.  The wrong medicine can be painful.  The right medicine might taste really nasty going down (a.k.a. the truth) BUT in the long run, if applied right and you feel better you're thankful. 

I’ve been dealing with contentment.  I was convicted.  I’ve had numerous days where I rehearsed for a situation.  Prayed for hours.  Meditating on repeatedly.  I was frustrated until I repented and changed my attitude.  Wow, how enjoyable life has been in this area since I’ve admitted the problem, dealt with it and the symptoms have gone away.  That’s my kind of prescription!

Go to THE Doctor and He has the best solutions for you.  He should know, He created You.  You were His idea.

2 comments: